Call Us Contact Us
Call us on: Free phone 0808 178 2773
(Mobiles can now call 0808 numbers for free)


Congratulations on starting your property journey! Whether you’re buying or selling, if you would like to ensure there are no delays to the conveyancing process, it is essential to forward all the appropriate information onto your residential conveyancing solicitor as soon as possible.

Documents Needed to Buy a House 

Once you’ve found your dream home, your residential conveyancing solicitor will ask you to sign a number of forms, as well as providing required information within a timely manner. Your solicitor will request:

Proof of Funds and Mortgage Offer - Before contracts can be exchanged, you will be required to provide a copy of your mortgage offer (if required) and evidence of any other funds that will be used to purchase the property. This will show that you are in the financial position to purchase the property.

If you have already met with a mortgage lender, then it is likely that you’ll have proof of your deposit and three months’ worth of income already. 

Proof of Identity and Address - You will also be asked to present two forms of identification which can evidence who you are and where you currently reside. This can be any of the following:

For proof of identity:

Current Full Signed Passport 

Current EU Photo Driving License 

For proof of address:

Latest Residential Mortgage Statement.

Latest Council Tax Bill.

Bank/Building Society statement dated within last 3 months.

Utility Bill dated within the last 3 months (not a mobile phone bill).

Current EU Photo Driving License 

Current UK Paper Driving License

Please note: No item can be used for both proof of identity and address, and cannot be used as evidence for more than one person. 

Documents for Selling a House 

There are considerably more documents required from a seller during the conveyancing process. The majority of these documents are about the property and may require you to fill out numerous forms. The documents needed to sell a house are:

Proof of identity – As detailed for the buyer, two forms of identification will be required. 

Property title deeds – These are paper documents that prove you are the current owner of the property being sold and who previous owners were. You may have these or your solicitor can request official copies from the Land Registry.

TA10 fittings and contents form – This is a clear and concise document which states what will be included in the sale of the property. Room by room, there will be a breakdown of what fixtures and fittings will remain in the property, as well as any furniture that has been requested as part of the sale. This will include items such as fridges, freezers, fitted wardrobes, greenhouses or sheds. 

TA6 Property Information form – This form details information about the building and land, including:

Where boundaries are and who is responsible for the upkeep of dividing fences or walls

Ongoing disputes or previous complaints

Notices or proposals for nearby developments

Modifications to the property, such as extensions or new windows

Guarantees or warrantees


Environmental factors, such as flood risks

Rights and any informal arrangements, such as rights of access or chancel repair fees



Services and utility connections, such as central heating and electricity 

Transaction information, including any special requirements for moving dates 

Any other charges 

Documents Referenced in the Property Information Form – This will include Building Regulations sign off or FENSA certificates. 

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) – A certificate of assessment which details how ecological the property is. For example, energy use and CO2 impact. 

Management Information Pack – If the property is leasehold, this pack will need to be obtained from the freehold owner or managing agent. 

Copy of Lease – If the property is leasehold, a copy of the lease will be required and the share certificate from the management company. 

Have Further Questions About the Documents You’ll Need?

Our expert solicitors are always happy to answer your conveyancing questions. Get in contact or why not explore our other blogs in search of your answer?

With effect from 15th February 2015 EU Regulations on Consumer Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) allow consumers who bought our services online to submit their complaint via an online complaint portal.

We are required under the regulations to provide our clients the following information:-
  1. Link to the ODR platform - please follow the following link for further information (
  2. Our contact email address in case of a complaint under the ODR regulation – Andrea Coombes