Do you qualify for Legal Aid?
As many of you will know drastic cuts were made to the Legal Aid system in April 2013. These cuts to legal aid have forced many parents to represent themselves within court proceedings.
However, many people are under the impression that Legal Aid has been abolished completely. This is not correct and there are still certain circumstances where you can qualify for legal aid.
Who qualifies for Legal Aid?You may qualify for legal aid if:
- If a Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference has taken place within the past 24 months
- If you can provide a letter from a health professional confirming you have been a victim of domestic violence within the past 24 months
- If you have attended a refuge within the past 24 months
- If a health professional has referred you to a domestic violence organisation within the past 24 months
- If your ex-partner has been convicted, bailed or cautioned for an offence cornering domestic violence for example: an Assault, threats to kill, inflicting bodily injury, shooting or attempting to shoot within the past 24 months
- If there is a restraining Order in placed granted within the past 24 months
- Where a Domestic Violence Protection Order has been granted
If you believe you are able to prove one of the above and your disposable income is under £733 per month then it is likely you qualify for legal help/aid.
Legal aid for Child CustodyPlease note If Social Services have threatened to or they have removed your child(ren) from your care you will automatically qualify for legal aid regardless of your income/means, please contact us today for an urgent appointment regarding this if you find yourself in this difficult situation.
We offer 30 minute free consultations here at Howells and can help provide you with the necessary template letters required to obtain the relevant information we need to assess your eligibility for legal help/aid. We can also undertake a means test to see if you are under the necessary threshold to qualify for funding.
To book your appointment with a specialist in our team call one of our regional offices, or complete our online enquiry form and we will call you back at a time that’s convenient for you.
Send us an enquiry - we will get back to you quickly Enquire Now