FRAUD WARNING: This firm does not act for HMRC in the recovery of any debts. Read More... If you are contacted unexpectedly by a bailiff seeking urgent payment of any debt, whether due to HMRC or any other person or organisation, we recommend that you seek legal advice before making any payment.
Call UsContact Us
Call us on: Free phone 02920 404020

"We can’t recommend Howells solicitors enough. Your service was excellent; all documentation was clear, prompt and made our move stress free."

Send us an enquiry - we will get back to you quickly

Enquire Now

"I would like to thank you all for representing me during such a difficult period of my life. I would like you to be aware I was impressed with your dedication & professionalism."

Send us an enquiry - we will get back to you quickly

Enquire Now

"Having worked in the city for over 20 years & dealt with major firm’s of solicitors, I was very impressed with the Commercial Department at Howells."

Send us an enquiry - we will get back to you quickly

Enquire Now

Howells Complaints Procedure

Howells Solicitors is committed to providing a high-quality legal service to its clients. In the vast majority of cases our clients experience an excellent and unblemished service. If, however, something goes wrong, we would like to resolve the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible and to your satisfaction. It is important that any problems you experience are reported to us in order that we may remedy the situation and make sure it does not happen again.

If you are dissatisfied with the service you have received, we encourage you to raise it with the member of staff you are dealing with in the first instance, if you feel comfortable doing so. We hope that by doing this matters can be resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. If you do not feel able to do that, or, you do so but do not arrive at a satisfactory outcome, you may use our formal complaint procedure.

How to make a formal complaint

Please send an email to or write to "The Compliance Department" at Howells Legal, Fitzalan House, Fitzalan Court, Cardiff, CF24 OEL. The letter or email you send should contain the following information:
  1. Your full name and address.
  2. The firm’s case / matter reference.
  3. The name of the individual who acts for you.
  4. A concise outline of the complaint together with any supporting documents or evidence.
The formal complaints policy is available to clients of the firm. There are limited circumstances in which the firm will consider a complaint from a non-client, but it is rare. If you are a non-client and wish to utilise the policy, you should explain why you think the firm should deal with your complaint. If you are an opponent of a client of the firm i.e. in a divorce or litigation, we will not deal with your complaint under any circumstances.

What will happen next?

  1. We aim to acknowledge receipt of complaints within 4 working days of receipt.
  2. We will then investigate your complaint. In order to do this we will consider any documents or evidence you supply and all our files and records. We will also speak to the individual member or members of staff who are
  3. dealing with your case.
  4. It usually takes us up to 28 working days to consider and fully investigate your complaint. It may take longer if there are staff absences or if we are waiting for you to provide any clarification or further evidence that
  5. we request.
  6. Once the complaint has been fully assessed we will do one of two things within 7 working days of completing the investigation:
    a) We will either invite you to attend a meeting in person or by telephone to discuss your complaint; or
    b) We will write to you with our findings and determination.
The timescale for dealing with a complaint (as set out above) is subject to the complexity of the issues. If a complaint is particularly complicated the investigation may take much longer than that required for a more straightforward matter. If that is the case, we will inform you as soon as it becomes apparent that more time is needed.

As a regulated law firm our services are subject to the jurisdiction of the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and the Legal Ombudsman (LeO).

The Legal Ombudsman

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint to the firm, you may contact LeO to request an independent adjudication. Please note, in order to refer a complaint to LeO you must usually have first exhausted the firm's internal complaints policy.

Complaints to the Legal Ombudsman must usually be made within six months of the date of our final response to your complaint, and one year from the date of the act or omission being complained about, or one year from the date when you should have realised that there was cause for complaint. For further information please contact the Legal Ombudsman:

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

As well as the Legal Ombudsman, there are other compliant bodies that follow a procedure called Alternative Dispute Resolution. These complaints bodies are competent to deal with complaints in relation to legal services, subject to all parties to the complaint agreeing to use the scheme.

We have chosen not to use an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme as we consider the Legal Ombudsman to be the most appropriate body to deal with resolving complaints about legal services.

Solicitors Regulation Authority

We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA); our SRA ID number is 607741. The SRA can assist you if you have any concerns about our professional conduct / behaviour. For more information please visit – SRA.

Send us an enquiry - we will get back to you quickly Enquire Now

With effect from 15th February 2015 EU Regulations on Consumer Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) allow consumers who bought our services online to submit their complaint via an online complaint portal.

We are required under the regulations to provide our clients the following information:-
  1. Link to the ODR platform - please follow the following link for further information (
  2. Our contact email address in case of a complaint under the ODR regulation – Amanda Barrett
Howells Legal