Call Us Contact Us
Call us on: Free phone 0808 178 2773
(Mobiles can now call 0808 numbers for free)

It’s a term that’s used a lot, but, if you’ve never required their services, you may not know what they do and can offer. So, here Karis Jones from Howells Solicitors examines what social services are for, what they do, and what you need to know if they have contacted you. More...


Traditionally Christmas is a time to spend with your family and friends. It’s generally a happy time and the season of goodwill, but unfortunately this isn’t always the case for separated families and their children.

Christmas can be an incredibly stressful time for separated families, especially when one parent doesn’t have the opportunity to spend time with the children during the festive season. 

Separated families may feel as though everyone else is enjoying the perfect family festivities, while they feel more isolated and alone than during the rest of the year. More...

Christmas is rapidly approaching, and families across the country are finalising their holiday plans.

For some families, this isn’t always an easy task, particularly when parents have separated or divorced. In these cases, the decision about where a child should spend the festive period can be fraught with disagreement and heartache.

In cases where parents are unable to agree about a child’s living arrangements, or with whom they spend time, it’s sometimes necessary for the Court to get involved. When mediation has proved unsuccessful (and domestic abuse is not an issue), a Child Arrangements Order (previously known as a ‘child residence order’ or ‘child contact order’) will be issued by the Court to clarify a child’s living arrangements.

Unfortunately, however, once these orders are made, they are not always complied with. When this happens, the person failing to comply could be held in contempt of court, which could mean fines, enforcement orders and even imprisonment.More...

As family structures become increasingly complex, understanding the rights and responsibilities of each person involved in a child’s upbringing can be difficult.

At Howells Solicitors, we have a specialist child care department dedicated to ensuring that each of these individuals receives the advice and support they need to ensure their interests are fairly represented. This week, we take a look at the difference between biological and legal fathers, and highlight the rights and responsibilities of each.

Legal Father Vs Biological Father

The male parent of a child is known as their father. A man can become a father either as a result of impregnating a woman (a biological father) or by gaining parental responsibility (a legal father). More...


Using legal terms is often unavoidable however to make the processes involved more understandable for our clients, we have compiled a ‘cutting the jargon’ glossary:

Abduction - Child abduction is when a person takes or sends a child out of England or Wales without the permission of those with Parental Responsibility or the permission from the court. If a person has a Residence Order or a Child Arrangements Order for a child they will not be acting unlawfully if the child is taken or sent out of England or Wales for less than four weeks without the appropriate consent.

Accommodated children - Parents may agree to having their child removed or ‘accommodated' by Children's Services under section 20 of the Children Act 1989, while an investigation and assessment is carried out.

Barrister - Barristers are legal professionals who specialize in courtroom advocacy, drafting legal pleadings, and giving expert legal opinions. More...

With effect from 15th February 2015 EU Regulations on Consumer Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) allow consumers who bought our services online to submit their complaint via an online complaint portal.

We are required under the regulations to provide our clients the following information:-
  1. Link to the ODR platform - please follow the following link for further information (
  2. Our contact email address in case of a complaint under the ODR regulation – Andrea Coombes